Spousal Support Attorney in Chesapeake
Reach a Fair Agreement with M. Rogers & Associates
One of the most challenging decisions you can make is to go through with a divorce. In addition to separating from your spouse and dividing your assets, you will be in a position where one of you may have to pay spousal support. You want to be sure that your agreement is equitable and that your best interests are protected. Our Chesapeake spousal support attorney can help. At M. Rogers & Associates, our Chesapeake spousal support lawyer are committed to helping clients throughout the divorce process, and we have a long track record of assisting clients in coming to successful spousal support agreements.
Who Determines Spousal Support in Chesapeake?
The state courts determine spousal support using guidelines to determine which party pays spousal support and in what amount. It is crucial that these amounts are calculated correctly and accurately, as this is how you will achieve a fair, equitable spousal support agreement.
How Is Alimony Calculated Virginia?
Factors the courts consider when determining spousal support include:
The length of the marriage and the standard of living during the marriage
- Whether or not adultery or domestic violence occurred during the marriage
- Assets and property held by each individual
- Income and earning potential of both spouses
- Contributions made to the household during the marriage by each spouse
- Health and/or medical issues of both spouses
- Whether or not there is a clearly demonstrated financial need for spousal support
Determining spousal support can be complicated, especially if you are dealing with issues such as one or both spouses being in the military or having pensions and retirement plans to account for. Similarly, both shared and personal debt must also be considered when determining spousal support.
How Long Do You Have To Be Married To Get Alimony in Virginia?
Since marriage length is just one of many factors that the courts consider when deciding whether to award spousal support, there is no set duration required and it is ultimately up to the court’s discretion.
Does Virginia Have Permanent Alimony?
There are multiple types of spousal support in Virginia, including permanent alimony:
- Temporary support - Available to spouses who need financial assistance during the divorce process.
- Rehabilitative alimony - Provides the recipient with the time and finances to pursue an education or the job training necessary to find employment and ultimately become financially independent.
- Permanent alimony - Available in Virginia to spouses who are unable to become self-supporting due to disability, age, or absence from the job market.
We Can Handle Spousal Support Modifications
Once the courts order spousal support, it is important to adhere to that order. If you are in a position where you cannot make spousal support payments, or if your former spouse has not been making required spousal support payments, you will want to secure legal representation as soon as possible.
An experienced Chesapeake spousal support attorney can help you seek a spousal support modification or help you enforce a spousal support order. It is important to remember that you do have options. At M. Rogers & Associates, our family law attorneys always treats clients with respect, and we strive to provide compassionate legal representation to all of our clients.
To speak with a Chesapeake spousal support lawyer today, call M. Rogers & Associates at (757) 828-0195.